My wonderful Hebrew translator, Gili Bar-Hillel Semo, recently emailed to tell me
that "Nim's Island" was voted the most popular book for 4th to 6th graders in "Mits'ad Hasfarim" - "The March of Books".
This is an interesting award: there's a jury-selected shortlist that includes all sorts of books, some very old, and then a poll of Israeli schoolchildren conducted by the department of education. (Sounds like a wonderful way to do it!)
So, I'm thrilled!
Here are some of the other winners - (Gili says she's omitted Israeli books I couldn't have heard of):
1. NIM'S ISLAND by Wendy Orr
3. THE ISLAND ON BIRD STREET by Uri Orlev
4. PRIhttp://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1147064&id=669674397NCE CASPIAN by C.S.Lewis
6. DIARY OF A WIMPY KID by Jeff Keaney
8. THE LEGEND OF SPUD MURPHY by Eoin Colfer
10. WHITE BOOTS by Noel Streatfeild (Gili translated this one too)
Labels: Nim's Island Israel; "Mits'ad Hasfarim" - "The March of Books".