On being an extra

I promised I'd get back with a bit more about our visit up to the set... better late than never!

Everyone kept telling me that the two main things about being an extra were good food and excruciating boredom. The first was certainly true – the food on the set was some of the best we had on the Gold Coast, and I simply can’t figure out how they served a top restaurant standard in those numbers, and on variable times. I have enough trouble with a dinner party for four!

But bored… no. Even going to Wardrobe to have our clothes checked seemed exciting (we’d been given instructions on what to wear – I’m embarrassed to admit what a huge suitcase of selections we took in our panic to get it right, though in the end Tom’s apparel was still augmented from props!) But the main thing was watching the process from the inside, being part of it, repeating my tiny ‘role’, over and over, as many times as it took for that split second of film to be completed, and understanding a little bit more of the process of making a movie.

Labels: